SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation. Founded in the Netherlands 50 years ago, we have built a long-term, local presence in 39 of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
The Overall OYE Programme focuses on creating Opportunities for Youth Employment in Agribusiness, Sustainable Energy and Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH). The Opportunities for Youth Employment (OYE) project in the central corridor of Tanzania started in January 2016, funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) as a “contribution” to, and expansion of, the OYE Tanzania project that SNV was implementing in partnership with Mastercard Foundation (August 2013 until July 2018). The SDC contribution covered an initial project phase lasting two years and nine months, followed by a one year extension ended in September 2019. OYE is now in phase II of implementation with funding from SDC and Danish Embassy. OYE is a market-based approach which requires a combination of youth competencies with a business orientation; emphasis on youth economic empowerment and entrepreneurship that involves much more than vocational training.
The aim of the second phase is to improve sustainably youth livelihoods by skills and capacity development and subsequently link these youth to market opportunities for employment and enterprise development in growth sectors that have concrete potential for youth – notably agriculture and renewable energy. The project aims to achieve access to direct employment and business opportunities in agriculture and renewable energy sectors targeting at-least 4,250 direct beneficiaries in the Morogoro and Singida Regions of Tanzania.The Senior intern will work closely with Project Advisors and the Project Manager.
Overview of the Position:
SNV through this new project is wishing to invite interested Tanzanians to work as senior interns from June 2022 to assist on initiating the project activities in new areas and facilitate support on various activities in core areas. The OYE project will connect rural youth (aged 18-30 years) with 50% – 50% gender balance to growing agri-business and renewable energy (RE) sectors, as employees, entrepreneurs and commercial farmers through private sector engagement.
The strategic OYE approach consists of:
1. Targeting growth oriented and demand driven markets with concrete potential for employment creation (PULL)
2. Skills and capacity development of youth to capitalize upon local market dynamics (PUSH)
3. Linking of youth to market opportunities for employment and/or small enterprise development (MATCH)
Activities, outputs and deliverables:
OYE II will engage 6 Local Service Providers (LSPs) who will roll out the project activities in the 2 regions in Tanzania with the aim to train and coach youth towards (self) employment and enterprise development in agri-business. SNV OYE staff provide strategic advice around all linkages/recruitment/training/marketing/enterprise development aspects, to smoothen the implementation and assure results are met in a quality and timely manner. Monitoring & Evaluation is a key part of the Senior Intern role.
The role of the intern in this assignment is to support OYE staff around monitoring & evaluation during project implementation and verification upon submission of deliverables.
In particular the intern will undertake systematic verification exercises to the output and outcome results achieved by the LSPs and the youth; verify the supporting documents and output deliverables; support the OYE MEL advisor and OYE PM in other M&E related activities; and provide other day-to-day support to the SNV advisors. The intern will spend around 10 to 15 days/month in the field conducting the verification assignment. A work-plan will be developed on a monthly basis steered by the OYE Project Manager in line with the LSP activity plans.
1. Monitoring and Quality control of the youth recruitment and Identification activities by 1 LSPs of for OYE – year 2
a) Participate and observe the selection and registration in mobile data collection tool (LogAlto of 360 new youth in 2 regions in Tanzania
b) Participate in uploading youth data in the online data-base
c) Develop a verification report on the youth selection process and result of 360 new youth in year 2
2. Monitoring and verification of trainings in: Basic Life Skills (BLS) -, Business Development Skills (BDS) -, Youth Savings Lending Associations (YSLA) -, technical training and coaching activities of youth for year 1 and 2
a) Participate and verify the BLS -, BDS – , Female role models, YSLA – and Technical training and coaching activities of 360 youth by 1 LSPs
b) Participate and verify the training and coaching activities for the youth groups
c) Develop verification reports on these activities in line with the due deliverable deadlines of the activities on the quality, quantity, output and outcomes of these activities
3. Field monitoring visits and phone verification of the youth that participate in a 5-day on the job training at institutions/companies and farms
a) Participate and observe the selection of youth to participate in the 5-day on job taining
b) Develop verification report on the quality, quantity, output and outcome of this activity
4. Support youth in participatory market research during the National Agricultural Exhibition in August or other learning event and verification of the market research results
a) Verification report for youth participating in the National Agricultural Exhibition and other Stakeholder events
b) Key lessons leant and market opportunity identified report from the event
5. Support OYE PM and MEL advisor in the collection and validation of youth progress reports
a) 2,125 youth progress reports submitted to OYE PM
6. Work with LSPs in establishment and preparing documentation for legalization of Youth Led Enterprises(YLEs),Youth Saving and Lending Associations (YSLAs) and Youth Enterprise Clusters (YECs)
a) Participate in establishment and verification of the established YLEs, YSLAs and YECs
b) Participate in preparation of YLE and YSLAs legalization documents and follow-ups on registrations
c) Develop verification report for YLEs and YSLAs registration status
7. Youth Mentoring and Coaching
a) Participate and verify mentoring and coaching individual or group YLEs and YSLAs on monthly basis for both youth in year 1 and 2 in two regions with LSPs and Champions
b) Develop YLEs and YSLAs progress reports submitted to OYE PM and Advisors
c) Documentation of Youth success stories submitted to MEL advisor and PM
8. Work with LSPs to support logistical arrangements for youth trainings and coaching.
a) Preparation of training PRFs and verification of the purchased goods or services report submitted to the procurement team.
· University degree in social studies or Business administration or marketing or gender studies or communication or media or development studies etc. with minimum of 2 years of experience.
· A proactive and entrepreneurial individual who will explore and develop innovative approaches that appeal to rural youth in Tanzania;
· Business/enterprise development skills
· Monitoring and evaluation skills
· Extensive understanding of business, marketing and development issues.
· In depth understanding of project cycle management, monitoring and evaluation framework, reporting and communication strategies/ tools.
· Demonstrated experience implementing visibility communications.
· Demonstrated experience working with stakeholders to build strategic partnerships.
Desired Skills and attitude:
· Able to work well in a team environment with colleagues.
· Ability to quickly understand instructions, ask for clarification when needed, adapt and work independently to produce results on time.
· Knowledge of Tanzanian education policies and institutions especially related to vocational skills development.
· Affinity with engaging productive sectors in skills development and private sectors strategies for out-of-school youth.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills in English;
· Computer literacy (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
· Excellent interpersonal skills including patience, diplomacy, willingness to listen and respect for colleagues and outside contacts
· Passion for working with the youth
· Excellent coordination skills
Contract Type: Internship Agreement
Contract Duration: 1 Year
Expected Start Date: 1st May 2022
Information Duty Station: LSP’s office in Morogoro (with frequent field travels to the villages of Morogoro and Singida regions)
How to Apply:
The vacancy is for internal and external candidates and it will active up to 22nd April 2022 and all application should be through Smart Recruiters on the following link https://careers.smartrecruiters.com/SNV