|Open Position:||Irrigation Engineer (1 Position)|
|Office Location:||Kilombero, Morogoro|
|Reports To:||Agricultural Engineering Manager|
|Date of advert:||13th April 2022|
Background – visit us at https://www.illovosugarafrica.com/About-Us/Tanzania
Kilombero Sugar Company Limited (KSCL), the largest producer of sugar in the country operating cohesively with Illovo Distillers Tanzania Limited (IDTL) and a member of Illovo Sugar Africa Limited (Africa’s largest sugar producer). The Company now invites applicants who are self-motivated, honest, hardworking and committed individuals to fill above mentioned position at Kilombero.
The Irrigation Engineer is responsible for optimising agriculture performance by providing excellent technical support in irrigation design and maintenance, whilst meeting the required cane crop volume and yield at the optimal cost. This is achieved through the implementation and management of water supply, irrigation and drainage systems and ensuring maintenance and condition of irrigation and drainage infrastructure are up to standard by adopting and embedding best practices in irrigation maintenance as guided by Group CoEs and Agricultural Optimisation teams.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical advice to Agriculture Management on Irrigation processes for the purpose of sustaining and improving sugar cane production on the estate
- Embed best practices, minimum standards, policies, processes, tools, technology and enablers through the relevant Illovo Agriculture Way and capability development strategy
- Manage estate irrigation service section to ensure high quality irrigation water is supplied to cane fields and dams on estate, and potable water is suppled to village
- Develop irrigation maintenance plans to ensure ongoing supply
- Ensure that irrigation dams on the estate are well maintained
- Oversee laying and maintenance of irrigation water mains, canals and other infield irrigation plumbing infrastructure
- Monitor effectiveness of irrigation systems, ensuring the agricultural operations are not negatively impacted as a result of water shortages, and that operational efficiencies of pumps and other irrigation reticulation are reflected in a low LTA
- Manage preparation of contract tenders for the development, maintenance and construction of irrigation works and oversee the work done by contractors
- Coordinate the update and renewal of all water permits for estate, ensuring that license fees are paid on time, and certificates are collected and kept in compliance with law
- Ensure continuous improvement by implementing functional best practices and conducting physical inspections to identify improvements
- Oversee effective talent and performance management of team(s), developing skills within teams through on-the-job coaching
- Conduct on the job training and instruction, and identify new training needs where appropriate
- Monitor and manage team and individual performance daily against minimum standards and targets
- Promote and adhere to Illovo’s procedures, policies and guidelines, including, without limitation, those relating to SHERQ, Competition Law and Anti-Bribery and Corruption (ABC)
- BSc Degree in Irrigation Engineering or related field
- 5 years’ experience in Irrigation engineering, including system design and implementation
- Good business acumen and agricultural expertise, with ability to anticipate, interpret and respond to changes impacting on functional area
- Strong project management track record
- Strong agriculture data analysis skills
Desired Experience and Added Advantages:
- A formal business/commercial qualification
Terms of Service: The successful candidate will be engaged on a permanent contract.
All interested candidates, who meet the above requirements, please click here to apply for the position before 27th April 2022. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Kilombero Sugar Company Limited is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
The deadline for submitting the application is 27 April 2022.