Senior Associate, Active Mobility
Kampala, Dar es Salaam, Kigali or Cairo
About the position
The Senior Associate, Active Mobility will play a key role in supporting the planning, design, and implementation of facilities for walking and cycling in African cities.
The Senior Associate will be involved in reviewing street designs, preparing street design guidelines, developing feasibility studies for bikeshare, and planning urban cycle networks, among other activities.
The job will entail a significant amount of field work, including site visits and surveys. The Senior Associate will work closely with governments, consultants, communities, and partner organisations.
The Senior Associate, Active Mobility will be based in any of the four Cities: Kampala, Dar es Salaam, Kigali or Cairo and will report to the Active Mobility Manager, working closely with ITDP staff and international experts.
● Conceptualise, draft, and review technical documents, including feasibility studies and active mobility plans.
● Analyse primary and secondary transport data, prepare conceptual designs, and monitor project implementation.
● Gather information on international best practises in active mobility and apply lessons learned locally.
● Effectively engage with a range of stakeholders including civic officials, politicians, civil society agents, media, and others to help build support for sustainable and equitable NMT strategies.
● Develop new activities in the active mobility stream and support the preparation of concept notes, design documents, terms of reference and budgets.
● Facilitate training for internal and external stakeholders.
● Prepare progress reports, communications materials, and other ad hoc reporting relating to ITDP’s activities in the NMT activity stream.
● Contribute to funding proposals.
● Perform any other task assigned.
● Master’s degree in architecture, urban design, urban planning, or other relevant field.
● At least three years of relevant professional experience.
● Familiarity with transport survey design, data collection, and data processing.
● Experience in street design and drafting using AutoCAD, spatial analysis using GIS software, and data analysis using Excel. Familiarity with the Adobe suite preferred.
● Strong communication skills, including preparing effective graphics and making powerful presentations. Ability to communicate complex transport issues through concise, compelling messages, verbally and in writing.
● Team player who excels at building trusting relationships with clients and colleagues.
● Excellent research and analytical skills. You should enjoy working with numbers!
● Demonstrated ability to manage people and projects to successful outcomes.
● Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects with flexibility, work well under pressure, and keep to deadlines.
● Ability to maintain high standards while contributing pragmatic ideas.
● Strong commitment to advancing ITDP’s mission and to environmental and social justice.
● Availability to travel frequently.
How to apply
The salary will be commensurate with experience. Interested applicants can apply by sending the following information to [email protected] with “Senior Associate, Active Mobility” in the subject line:
- Resume and cover letter.
- Samples of written and visual work.
- An idea about what it would take to implement a bikeshare system in a city in Africa.
The position will remain open until filled.
ITDP is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion/creed, sex, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, veteran or active military status, alienage or citizenship status, arrest or conviction record, credit history, salary history, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or partnership status, familial status, unemployment status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual violence or any other status protected by applicable law.