The FEGGE project aims to improve economic prosperity of female and male feminist SMEs and small entrepreneurs (SEs), promoting gender equality and climate-smart business in the dryland regions of Tanzania, using a feminist business approach to an improved and gender-equitable business environment.
The Grants Accountant will partake in developing a sound financial monitoring and control system targeted at ensuring transparent, efficient and effective grants implementation. By applying a rigid financial control approach, s/he will ensure that Grantees understand financial management pertaining to the grant awarded, develop and compile financial reports as per schedule and contract terms and exercise a transparent and honest management of the grant funds (as per contract terms and conditions).
The Grants Accountant reports to the Finance Manager.
Grantees identification, selection and file management
- screening of initial documents
- Budget proposals verification and analysis
- Due diligence visits
- Filing and file management of grantees’ files both soft and hard copies
Contracting and contracts management
- Prepare documentation and verify documentation for the contracting procedures (ensure number of copies for all respective authorities; file contract; update step in the pipeline monitoring tools)
- Ensure documentation relating the grant is filed appropriately both hard and e-copies.
- Maintain asset register for all assets bought by the grantees.
- Monitor pipeline and keep it updated weekly (or daily if requested by management or donor)
- For the awarded grants: verification of funding requests from grantees and ensuring that disbursements are made on a timely basis.
Grants financial management and control.
- Preparation of grant allocation schedules including matching funds leveraged by grantees.
- Logging all financial disbursements to grantees.
- Bookkeeping and maintenance of the grant fund financial records including cash books, ledgers and bank reconciliations and supporting documentation for all grant payments.
- Drawing up disbursement schedules and cash flow forecasts.
- Requesting progress reports (technical and financial) from grantees and availing the necessary templates for their completion.
- Doing reconciliations for all lead firms and BDS providers.
- Maintenance of audit files and working with the Finance team to prepare for grant fund audits.
- Support the Finance Manager in providing capacity building in all financial related matters to contracted Lead firms and BDS providers.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the Finance Manager on a need basis.
- Verifying the Matching component as highlighted in the contract.
- Follow up on reports not submitted as per due date by the grantees.
- Provide comments to Manager from review of the grantees progress reports.
- Provide feedback tafter the review process has been completed for each of the grantees. Keep a file with all the recommendations and observation and a note on how those have been resolved/addressed.
- Follow up with Grantees on feedback and recommendations resulted from reports, visits or management analysis of grants process. Ensure issues raised have been addressed by the grantee.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, investment finance, economics or business administration.
- Two years’ experience in international standards of project accounting, financial management including budgeting, grants and contracts.
- Experience in establishing and cultivating successful institutional partnerships with a range of institutional types and levels of commercial enterprises.
- Excellent oral and written communication in English and Kiswahili, report writing.
- Experience in business finance to small growing business and small enterprises, value chain finance, agricultural finance and/or agricultural markets (Basic level)
- Experience in the provision of business development services oriented toward finance.
- Experience in training, mentoring and institutional capacity building.
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office Applications, specifically Excel and Word and Access
- Prior work experience specifically in the drylands and semi-arid regions of mainland Tanzania
- Appreciation and support of MEDA’s values, mission, and purpose
To apply, please send your current Curriculum Vitae, with at least three references with current e-mail and telephone contacts, with a cover letter describing your interest and relevant experience. Deadline: 15th April 2022
Send your application to Human Resources at the following email address [email protected]
Women are strongly encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.